Welcome....

Don't Bother Wiping Your Shoes

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

When it rains, it pours!

Monday...oh Monday was awesome. I had been cozied up in the house all day. My husband wasn't working at the fire station or pushin' snow! Riverlyn was home and we had a great, not-very-often relaxed family time. Just hanging out. It was the first day in a coule weeks where I didn't have an obligation scheduled. Actually, I had a Christmas party but I skipped out...I didn't really have to be there. I was so cozy and happy, I just couldn't make myself get out and about and do make-up and hair...call me lazy, but call me happy!

Tuesday...oh Tuesday was just awful! First, we woke up, turned on the faucet and there was no water coming out...(uhh, didn't this happen to me last year? right...) and that's when we realized the pipes were frozen and we forgot to leave a faucet dripping. Great. So we put a propane heater blasting heat onto the water pipes. That was at 8 o'clock in the morning. By 8:30 Jason bailed, he had to go plow. As the heater under the house was blasting heat (like that's not the most dangerous thing in the world) I had to check the faucets every 20 minutes or so to see if we had water yet. And every time, I came up nill. In between those 20 minute intervals I had to go outside to check the heater to make sure it was still blowing under the house, because if the ignition goes out, then I'm basically forcing propane into my home right?

Anyways, By 4:00pm yesterday, my dad was on his way to wrap the pipes in heat tape. Then Jason called to see if we had any running water yet. "Nope," I said. Then, the Carbon Monoxide detector starts going off. "Why's the fire-alarm beeping at me?" I asked Jason via phone. "That's not the fire alarm Kendra. That's the C O detector. Call 911 and get out of the house...be sure and turn off the propane ignition and heater. Hurry."

It was 20 degrees outside so I tell Riverlyn to grab her coat and boots and go outside. That's when I realized that my 4 year old does NOT think straight under pressure. She started running around in circles, hands shaking, terrified look on her face screaming "I don't know where it is..." and then starts crying...She was so scared.

So I got her and both dogs inside the car while I was on the phone with 911. When I hung up, I realized I forgot my keys. I ran back inside scared because I thought my house was going to blow up or something. When I grabbed my keys, water started shooting out of the faucets I had opened earlier. Thank you God! We have water and no broken pipes. See, I knew the propane tank heater would work! Although the firemen told me later the it was also the source of the CO leak. Stupid me. I also felt stupid when they went into my house and all the faucets were running full blast. They probably thought I was dumb AND wierd. Oh well. I have water again, and no CO. And then we played barbies.

1 comment:

Rita Loca said...

I came over from the comment you left on my blog! I love new readers.
yes, we are missionaries living in Paraguay. We spent 20 years in Venezuela where we lived in the jungle and worked among the Ye'kwana tribe. Pres. Chavez expelled us and we relocated here.
I would love for you to link to me. I am getting ready to re do my entire blog layout and will link to you then. Have a great New Year!